It’s a cliche that people use when they can’t ‘move on’ after a break-up, or something like that. No matter how different things are between the two of you [and the environment], you still have some love for the person… Same with VS, right? No matter what or how the meta is, or how screwed up your first deck is in a particular or in every Age, you still play your first deck. Right? 😀 [I’m talking about a real “competitive” deck here… hehe]
Versus System was introduced to me by a friend of mine when the X-Men Set [MXM] was released. Of course, I had no idea what team to play, since it is a new experience for me. [Tried Magic in the 5th grade, didn’t like it.] So my friend told me to buy a booster pack and build around the cards I’ll get. It’s a good idea, and I did it. I got mostly Hellfire Club and Morlocks characters. From what I remember, Marrow, Shinobi, Sewer System and Tarot were in the booster pack. So I started from there, teaming up Hellfire and Morlocks. Boy, did it suck. haha Not just because of the absence of rares [I was reluctant to buy expensive cards], but the team-up’s kinda awkward. Especially when I had Shinobi as my primary drop and Marrow as my backup. hahaha! Then my friend told me to separate the teams. I did. From then on, I started to build my Morlocks deck first, learning the tricks of the evading characters and their support cards, and playtesting it with my friends.
Then I learned about older sets, the Ages, and new sets start arriving… I tweak my Morlocks deck every now and then and made it more competitive. Here’s what I have now:
The Neighbors of TMNT
[not really the name… I call it “Last Stunned“, but The Neighbors of TMNT is kinda funny for me 😀 hehe]
4x Electric Eve
1x Mr. Mxyzptlk, Troublesome Trickster
1x Tar Baby
4x Black Cat, Nine Lives
1x The Creeper
4x Storm, Leader of the Morlocks
1x Colossus, Tin Man
Did the math? That’s 61 cards. I’m okay with it. If you want, take out Mr. Mxyzptlk so that you’ll have 60.
Now some may have questions about my deck, I’ll try to guess them later. Anyway, one of the many problems I had with my Morlocks deck was: “Have a bad draw, you’re screwed… Big time”. That’s basically it. The pre-MHG time was bad for the Morlocks, since all the ‘drawing’ they could do was with The Hill… ON TURN 4. And if my hand sucks or I got 3 or less characters in play, I won’t be able to ‘abuse’ The Hill. [I don’t want to evade my only 3 characters just to draw a card, right?] Thank God for MHG and MTU! With the Gems and Black Cat, my dearest Morlocks can now survive! haha
Now, I’ll guess your questions:
Why Black Cat? [followed up by: “Why no team-ups?”]
– This sexy character has evasion and her ability helps out the sewer dwellers. Have Avalon Space Station or Slaughter Swamp in my resource row and I won’t care if I’m discarding my Marrows or Callistos. Drawing’s good. 😀 And the deck doesn’t need the team-up because of Storm. And Black Cat’s sexy. Nuff said! haha
Why The Creeper?
– When he recovers, draw a card. That’s good. Plus, he doesn’t need Storm to get the Morlocks affiliation. 😀
Why are Mind Gem and Ego Gem there?
– Recruit Mind Gem, draw, discard, evade, bounce Mind Gem. Repeat (n – 2) times, where n = the number of characters you have in play. Recruit Ego Gem on one of the characters with the lower cost, combat phase, draw, evade, bounce Ego Gem. I do this off initiative. If I have the initiative, I do the Mind Gem thing (n – 1) times. hehehe Greed is good. 😀
– Hey, I discard a lot, so why not? He “saves” one card from being discarded. That’s GREAT!
How the hell do you say “Mxyzptlk”??
– Wikipedia says: roughly pronounced Miks-yez-pit-lik, or “Mix-yez-pittle-ik”, also nicknamed Mxy.
Why have Colossus there?
– He’s 16/16 if he’s the only non-stunned character I control. That’s a 7-drop! Yeah, he can’t be pumped-up by Shrapnel Blast, but hey! He’s still big! Replace him with Callisto if you don’t like that.
Are there any more? Feel free to comment. No insults, please. hehe 😀
Now, sometimes I try not to play this deck because people “fight” over one card: LAST STAND. Some people say its effect is good while defending only. I am somehow “offended” with that [don’t ask why]. haha Okay, let’s “analyze” the card:
Play only if you control three or more stunned characters.
Target defender gets +10 DEF this turn.
MOR-198 – Common
Wanna break it down part by part? Okay, I’ll do it.
“Play only if you control three or more stunned characters.”
– I got evading characters, no problem.
“Target defender gets +10 DEF this turn.”
– FIRST!! Target defender… I can only use this on a DEFENDING CHARACTER. Okay?
– THEN!! gets +10 DEF this turn… THIS TURN. NOT WHILE DEFENDING THIS TURN, NOT WHILE ATTACKING THIS TURN. Just THIS TURN.The WHOLE %*(^!#@ TURN. Period. Got THAT?
They say Last Stand is “broken”. Heck, everyone says almost every card in VS is broken. Besides, it’s an ORIGINS card. Maybe the creators of VS don’t have any idea [at that time] that they’ll create evading characters, right?
Enough with the ranting… Moving on…
These are the things I do while playing this deck:
Mulligan condition: Black Cat or Bloodhound [for Black Cat. Duh…]
– Abuse Black Cat… If I can. With either Avalon Space Station or Slaughter Swamp, I can discard my higher drops. If I can’t, I just discard my 1 and 2-drops or extra copies of my higher drops.
– If Storm’s in play, I do not do the Mind Gem thing too much. Remember, Morlocks burns my endurance by evading, that’s why Storm’s there for a reason. If I have Hump in play instead, hell, Mind Gem away… 😀
– If desperate times calls for desperate measures [no character for that turn or no Bloodhound in sight], I discard Team Spirit and Shrapnel Blast. Of course, I have to have at least one Morlocks character card if I draw into a Bloodhound. NEVER discard Last Stand. NEVER discard Morlock Justice.
This deck won me a Hobby League with the Bring Your Own Universe format back in the pre-Marvel Legends days. Just:
-1 Mr. Mxyzptlk
-1 The Creeper
-1 Colossus [he didn’t exist in those days hehe]
-1 Slaughter Swamp
+1 Avalon Space Station
It defeated a Checkmate-Villains United KO Deck. [The Alley for the win!! haha] And Last Stand, too… haha
That’s all for now. I leave all of you now with two modified quotes:
“Robert Lewis Stevenson wrote: You cannot run away from a weakness; you must sometimes fight it out or perish. And if that be so… why not try evading?”
“As long as one of us is standing, you haven’t defeated the Morlocks.”